Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Wabaunsee County Tax Bill Information

  • Please be certain your tax statements include only your property.  Wabaunsee County is not responsible if taxes are not paid on the correct properties.
  • Full year tax is owed on all personal property owned as of Jan. 1.  Kansas law makes no provision for pro-ration except trucks over 16,000 lbs. and boats.
  • First half taxes are due on or before Dec. 20.  If first half taxes are not paid by this date, the full amount, including interest becomes due.  Second half taxes are due on or before May 10.  If taxes are not paid by the due dates, interest of 8% per annum will be added as provided by law.
  • Make checks payable to the Wabaunsee County Treasurer.  Include the appropriate stub from your tax statement showing 1st half, 2nd half or Full Payment. You will receive a receipt by mail.

Tax bills are mailed in early to mid November. The first half of taxes is due by December 20th. If the first half tax is not paid by that date, it begins to accrue interest. If the first half tax is paid by December 20th, the second half will be due by May 10th of the following year. 

Real Estate Taxes

After December 20th and before May 10th, the first half payment, plus interest, can be paid.  If payment is not made by May 10th, the full tax, plus interest, must be paid.  

If taxes are delinquent for two years on vacant property or three years on residential property, the property is subject to a tax foreclosure suit by the county.  The property can then be sold at public auction.  Anyone having delinquent real estate taxes in Wabaunsee County cannot bid at these auctions.

Personal Property Taxes

The first half tax must be paid by December 20th.  After that date, the full amount of personal property taxes are due, plus interest.  Full unpaid personal property taxes are sent to the Sheriff for collection in March.  If the first half taxes are paid in December, the second half is due May 10th.  Second half unpaid personal property taxes are sent to the Sheriff for collection in June-July.


Business Hours:
Monday - Friday 8:00- 4:30 CST
Drivers License Hours:
Tuesday - Friday 8:00 - 4:00 CST

215 Kansas
Alma, KS 66401

Phone: 785-765-3812
or 785-765-3440
Fax: 785-765-3992             
Email: treasurer@wbcounty.org


Delinquent Taxes

Delinquent real estate taxes not paid within 3 years for residential property and 2 years for vacant property are referred to the County Attorney for foreclosure action, thus putting the property in jeopardy of being sold at auction.

Real Estate taxes that are unpaid August 1st of the current year are published in the official county newspaper (as designated by the Board of County Commissioners) for 3 consecutive weeks in August in accordance with the provisions of K.S.A. 79-2301 to 79-2323a.

Personal Property taxes that are unpaid October 1st of the current tax year are published in compliance with K.S.A. 19-547 for 3 consecutive weeks in October in the official county newspaper. (as designated by the Board of County Commissioners)

Mill Levies

The mill levy is the tax rate applied to the assessed value. One mill is one dollar per 1,000 dollars of assessed value. 

The County Clerk computes the mill levies for each local taxing authority by dividing the portion of the taxing authority's budget that is property tax funded by the taxable assessed value in the taxing authority's service area. 

For more information on mill levies, please contact the County Clerk's office here or at 785.765.2421.


Minimize Filing A Protest

1. If you have not had a meeting with the County Appraiser on the valuation of your property for the same tax year, you can file a protest. Protest forms are available from the County Treasurer or you can print a form from The Kansas Court of  Tax Appeals web site:  http://www.kansas.gov/cota/documents/PR%20Appeal%20to%20Co.pdf (requires acrobat reader).  

2. Contact the County Treasurer's office to request the protest forms after November 1st. Please read and follow the instructions carefully for a successful appeal. NOTE:  If the protest form is received in the Treasurer's office unsigned, the protest will be considered invalid and will be returned to you. The delay may jeopardize your chances for a hearing.

3. Tax protest forms must be completed before sending to the Treasurer's office on or before December 20th. If taxes are paid by an escrow agent, you have until January 31st of the following year to file your protest.

4. You must keep a copy of the  protest form. You will need to use this form to file the protest with the Board of Tax Appeals if you are not satisfied with the County's decision.

5. The County Appraiser will contact you to schedule an informal meeting after the County Treasurer forwards your protest form to their office. If you are filing a protest on the basis of an illegal tax levy, an Appendix must be completed and attached to the protest form. Those protest forms will be mailed by the Treasurer to the State Board of Tax Appeals. No informal hearing will be held with the Appraiser in the case of  illegal tax levy protests.

6. If you are successful in your appeal you wil receive a refund, if paid in full.  An adjustment on the 2nd half tax will be made if only half was paid.   The County Treasurer will process your change when received from the County Appraiser's and Clerk's Offices.